High Contrast Mode:

Electrical Hazards You Should be Aware Of

Electrical Hazards You Should be Aware Of

Electricity remains one of the best and most important elements in the present day. In fact, the use and presence of electricity have revolutionized most of the world. We've come to rely pretty heavily on electricity - our homes, cars, lighting, televisions, radios, factories, and much more are all powered by electrical means.

Without its use being harnessed, many of the things we use on a daily basis would cease to work. While electricity is incredibly useful, it can also be very dangerous.

Each year in the U.S., there are at least 300 deaths and 4,000 injuries that are caused by electrocution. Keeping this in mind, it's important to abstain from conducting electrical projects around your home or business and leave it to the experts instead. We'll discuss why below.

Understanding The Electric Circuit

As humans our bodies conduct electricity, this makes us susceptible to electrocution and feeling "shocked" in certain situations. Because electrocution is dangerous and deadly at times, it's important to avoid situations in which you can be susceptible to harm. Here are some ways you can avoid a potentially harmful encounter with an electric circuit

  • electriccircuitNever wear rings or metal jewelry when working with electricity.
  • Do not use electricity or with or in combination with water or liquids. This increases your chances of encountering a current.
  • Turn off all power sources when working with an electric circuit.
  • Cover unused electrical outlets with safety plugs to protect small children from shock.
  • Avoid adjusting power cord prongs to size while plugging in a device.

Because electricity can be harmful when handled improperly, it's always a good idea to have an experienced electrician assist you with any home electrical projects.

Beware the Electrical Burn

electricalburnAn electrical burn is something you want to avoid at all costs as it can cause more damage to your skin and in a shorter period of time than thermal or chemical burns.

Unfortunately, electrical burns are also some of the most common injuries. If you or someone around you experiences an electrical burn, it's imperative that it's treated right away with a first aid kit, and then treated at a hospital or doctor's office.

Any burns resulting from electrical shock should always be medically assessed because the victim can be suffering from other ailments, such as cardiac arrhythmia pr ventricular fibrillation.

Unplug Your Unused Electrical Devices

unplugWhile receiving a direct shock from a device's electrical current is a concern, electricity can also start fires in your home. Even when your electrical devices are not being used, an electrical current runs through them.

This can cause a unit to become too warm or overheat, placing your home at a fire risk; It's always best to unplug any unused devices to prevent this from happening and increase your home's fire safety.

When you have an electrical project, repair, or upgrade that needs to be done, it's always best to leave the job to experienced electrical technicians like ours at Snappy Electric, Plumbing, Heating, & Air. Doing so will greatly reduce your chance of experiencing electrocution, burns, or fire.