Nearly 20 people die each year from exposure to natural gas in the home, and while not all gas leaks cause death, they can cause a variety of health issues — some of which can be severe. If you suspect you have a gas leak or are feeling ill in your home, call Snappy Electric, Plumbing, Heating, & Air for help right away.
Is a tankless water heater replacement the better choice for you? Check out our tankless water heater services and see what we can do.
Do You Have a Gas Leak? Here Are Signs That You Do
If you have a gas leak, the sooner you detect it and call for help the better. Gas leaking inside the home can cause carbon monoxide poisoning which can make you sick and even cause serious damage. Here are signs that you have a gas leak in your home.
- Foul Odor — Although natural gas is odorless, your provider adds a chemical so you can smell it. If you detect an odor like rotten eggs in your home, it’s likely a gas leak.
- Hissing Sound — In certain cases, the gas leaking from a pipe may make a hissing sound as it escapes.
- Disturbance — When the gas under pressure begins to leak, it can stir up dust and debris, especially around appliance connections.
Is your kitchen plumbing in need of repair? We offer many kitchen plumbing services and may be able to help!
How To Handle a Gas Leak
If you’ve determined you have a gas leak, do these things immediately!
- Evacuate the house
- Leave doors and windows open to ventilate
- Call for emergency help from outside the house
- Call a gas pipe leak repair service to fix the damage
Gas leaks are serious business. It’s essential that you get out of the house the minute you detect a leak and call for help and don’t go back in until the authorities say it’s clear.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
In some cases, you may not hear or smell a gas leak, but you might have other symptoms you should be aware of that signal a problem. If you’re in the home and experience any of the following symptoms, it could be due to a gas leak.
- Abdominal Pain
- Chest Pain
- Feeling Dizzy or Lightheaded
- Feeling Fatigued
Any of these symptoms or a combination of symptoms could indicate that you have carbon monoxide poisoning. If you experience these, get yourself to a doctor or emergency room without delay.